I’m back from a whirlwind week. A week I will never forget. A week that reminded me of two things in equal measure. 1. Life is hard. Really hard. 2. God is good. Abundantly good.
Had anyone told me last Monday that I would be in California at a dear friend’s funeral this Monday, I would have found it impossible to believe. But impossible things happen sometimes and Jesus is good to walk us through them.
A few things I learned on my trip:
- If you have to go to a really tough funeral, be sure to take lots of tissue along with Edie, Deb and Whitney. Quality friends make hard times bearable.
- I too will have a funeral some day: live intentionally.
- I too will have a funeral some day: take some decent pictures for the slide show.
- It’s not a myth, California has really nice weather.
- The closest approximate to hell-on-earth surely must be gas station restrooms.
- Whitney’s right, powdered sugar donuts – no matter how wonderful – do get all over everything.
So, dear and understanding diary, I would like to tell you about my friend, Jonathan. But it will have to wait til tomorrow. My email inbox at work was not nearly as understanding as you were about letting me go.
Your faithful friend,