I love New Year’s resolutions. For me, they help with the Christmas letdown by focusing my attention on the good stuff ahead. I don’t always keep the resolutions, but I think it’s better to shoot at something then nothing and so I make them every year. Last year I posted this list and yesterday I evaluated it. Actually, I wrote a post about it but it was remarkably boring so I decided to simply say: I did well with some and not-so-well with others. See how quickly things can be said? I resolve to say things more quickly in 2010.
My first two resolutions are based on this scripture:
Overwork makes for restless sleep, overtalk shows you up as a fool. -Ecclesiastes 5:3
- Talk less. This is a continuation from 2009, but I really loved the results and so I want to stick with this program.
- Less busywork, more focus. Americans work 500 hours more annually than other countries and are still less productive. I’m increasingly disillusioned with the man made 9-5, fill-the-hours-because-that’s-what-we-do system and am determined to spend more time prioritizing and focusing on work during a confined number of hours, so that I can then spend more time enjoying my family, my life and dreaming for the future in the balance of the hours.
- Oh wait! That last resolution has sub-resolutions which include: no checking work email at home (at least not more than once or twice) and no worrying about work stuff at home when there’s nothing I can do about it. If these two don’t kill me, they’ll save my life.
- More exercise. Also a carryover from 2009 because I ended up loving this one.
- Set clear and shorter deadlines. I often blow it by giving myself too much time to finish projects and then nothing ever ends up being perfect enough to be called “complete”.
- Master learn more about French cooking.
- Figure out Ecclesiastes.
- Make a new friend.
- Love my husband better than ever. There are sub-points to this one but I’m not telling because he reads my blog. Hi Steve!
- Help each of my children achieve or experience something they haven’t before.
- Stay taller than Josiah (shout-out, Holly!)
That’s the gist of where I hope my year is headed. What are your resolutions?
Looking for something clever to rhyme with 2010,