Things I learned on my summer vacation, by Bonita Stern.
- June at the Oregon coast is not necessarily classified as summer. It’s really more of a post-spring sort of season.
- Watch out for sneaker waves – they look friendly, but then they sneak up and pull you in the surf.
- Also, watch out for sneaker sun – it looks like it’s hiding behind a thick blanket of gray gloom, but then it sneaks up and burns you to a crisp in spite of the fact that it was almost too cold to go without a jacket. We are lovingly referring to this as “fogburn”.
- Do not watch Marley and Me while missing your dog. Your children will have to comfort you and that is not as it should be.
- Do watch Up. Do, do, do! I’m going to write a post on this next week.
- In case of #5, please be prepared for sticker shock. 5 tickets to watch a movie in 3D at IMAX = roughly the cost of entrance to Disneyworld which equals approximately one-third the amount of the AIG bailout.
- Absorb every single minute because time goes by like sand through fingers. Trust me.
Glad to be home. Sad to be home.
Here comes summer,