As orphan week wraps up, here are some great ideas I’ve gotten from people I’ve talked to recently:
- Anne suggested “Change for change”: throw all the change in a jar and – every six months or so – send it to a charity that works with orphans. You’ll be amazed at how quickly it accumulates.
- Several people have become sponsors or made one-time donations in honor or memory of their own children. I gotta tell you, this one always makes me cry – especially some of the beautiful/heartbreaking stories that accompany that donation.
- One family is choosing to give up a Christmas gift this year and donate that money instead. I think it’s a great idea and we’re going to do it as well.
- Speaking of gifts, for some of the people on my list who have everything, we’re going to help send an orphan to college in their name. Amani has cards for this purpose if you’re interested.
- Want to accomplish something BIG like running a marathon or climbing a mountain? While you’re at it, make an impact on orphans by going to http://www.challengmenow.com. People click-to-sponsor and you raise money for the charity of your choice while you live your dream!
There are a million more ideas but I don’t want to overwhelm you…yet.
Well, I don’t know where you live, but where I live we have snow on the ground. Snow! On the ground! I’ve chosen to just welcome it and be thankful for our real, wood-burning fireplaces and my Ughs.
Whatever your weather, I hope you’re finding something wonderful to love,